Monday, March 22, 2010

Ship Rock, New Mexico


I was told by one of the local Navajo, that a great bird from the north carried the early Navajo people to this place where it landed and turned into stone. Ship rock is the most unadvertised and unlabeled landmarks I've ever seen. Don't look for any signs. If it looks like ship Rock it probably is. I arrived late evening and drove around the huge chunk of desert pasture surrounding it, looking for some kind of ticket booth, maybe a park headquarters. Nope, maybe this isn't it I thought. I then drove down a long dirt road to its base. I said if this ain't it somebody made a hell of an imitation. Driving back to an old gas station to fix a flat I'd been airing up, I asked the attendant why no signs? He said "it doesn't need any". Asking if it was OK I went to take a look at it He said ,"you just came from there, I watched you from here" I said yea that's true but I'd like to go back. He replied "that would be OK I guess, just have respect for us on our land".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiprock