Thursday, June 9, 2016

Growing Sweet Corn

The pan is 9 inches wide.
 This is the 1st season I planted Mirai 350bc sweet corn. I read about it in online reviews. All I heard was praise. So I bought a thousand untreated seed from Vermont Bean.

When the seed arrived it looked desiccated beyond what corn seed should look like.  So I figured I might have gotten bad seed.

Late winter here in zone 8b was warm enough for the grass to be green in my garden, and far too wet to prepare rows which we must use in South Louisiana to keep the seed from sitting in water in our flat terrain.

If planting 2 different types corn, you must have them at least 1000' apart to realize a crop true to name, to prevent cross pollination.
Clouds parted for a couple days and I tilled the garden with a heavy tiller. Weather would not permit any drying time, so I made rows and planted the crummy looking seed in almost mud, and churned up grass. When I got through all I could say good was the rows were straight. I wouldn't give 2 bits for the whole dog gone thing. Sometimes it's the best one can do.

Plant a seed young man.
It rained three weeks during which time every single seed came up in the mud, like rice. The mole crickets moved in and cut a few. I managed to hoe around it at about 12 inches tall, and hill a little. I sprayed seedlings for cut worms. It rained.

I sprayed the new silk for worms and worms gave me no trouble. It did very well growing in mud. It made a pretty good number of ears. It is by far the tenderest corn I have ever eaten, and the sweetest. Ears are a little small (6 to 7 inches, the pan is 9 inches wide) but extremely uniform and easier to handle, and chomp on when eating fresh boiled. I think this is good, despite the fact I wanted big ears. Huh! I have changed my mind again. 

 There are many good types of sweet corn to plant, but I will probably plant this again next season, as I am very happy with its performing so well under adverse conditions. This fact is uncommon. Good Luck.