Sunday, June 5, 2016

Terraces Above Urubamba River, Sacred Valley Peru

You must enlarge to appreciate.

Ancient farm terraces lie idle 3000 foot above the Urubamba River. Swords of first light reveal, a garden in the sky.

This is one of the most difficult places in the world to get to if you figure the number of flights, cabs, trains, buses, tickets, bribes, but it was every bit a blessing. I had about 4 seconds to make this image as the sun came over this sharp moan-tane so quickly. Five seconds would not reveal the swords any longer. I took one at about 2.5 seconds and one at 4 seconds and it was gone. This is the one at 2.5 seconds. The other is slightly lighter. Both are in good focus and definition. This is the 5 seconds of magic I've been telling you about cousin, and it will carry you over.


This will be the first of many images I made throughout the Magnificent Country of Peru, and The Andes Mountain Range, where from I learned the correct pronunciation of the word     " Moan-tane " by a spiritual Peruvian. I believe He's right.

From Lima south to Arequipa across the High Desert/Vicuna -Lama- Alpaca Reserve wilderness ( 8,000' to 16,800' ) and the breathless volcano region, to and along the Colca Canyon from Chivay. The many Inca and Pre Inca Megalithic stone masonry/ruins of the Sacred Valley and Cusco. Points of interests, Churches, Cathedrals, Convents, Monasterys, Holy Places, pottery, jewelry, art of all sorts, Peruvian Market, farms, indigenous peoples and culture.

My favorite medium has always been film, color negative or slide. This is the absolute reason I have shown you so few of the images I have made in so many wonderful places. Because I have a hundred good negatives for every image I've shown you, but they have never been scanned and converted to digital which must happen to get them online into google images. Yes I did use my $99 printer scanner to do those fuzzy ones. I've been so busy working for so long, but I quit all that. I'm going to buy a good scanner soon and haul out the shoe boxes of negatives.

On this last trip the rewind mechanism broke on my favorite film camera on the first day in Lima on the third roll of 120 slides. Good news is every frame I took after that point is available now. I did it all in digital on a new camera I had just bought in case. I shot 10 times what I would on film. Sure I got a heap of junk, but I am finding out there probably is 4000 images on the disks, and some are kik ass. I made more good images on this trip than I would have with film,  but the best are usually film. 

If I can figure out how to get the digital definition on line as it is on camera and monitor. Terraces above Urubamba image definition is far better than the windows 10 version you see. Will republish better later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Valley